Tuesday 24 April 2012

First appearance in a Festival

Ok well here goes. This is my first attempt at 'blogging'.
I read for Godfather Death a little while ago at Blackwood Little Theatre. It was with delight that I had the news that Vic Mills decided to place his faith in me and cast me in this one act.
Although I have trodden the boards for more years than I care to remember (36 years to be precise my first years up in North Wales with Caernarfon Rep and then with Theatr Fach in Llangefni) this will be my first foray into competition. My daughter Fay has beaten me to this 2 years in a row. Pity she will not be here to see her 'old man' and pass on her experience (she is on holiday cruising around the Med lucky thing)!!
I have found the rehearsals to be quite intense and enjoyable as every move is thought through to ensure that the production flows from beginning to end. This, I realise, is to ensure that every precious minute is used to its full capacity for the short time that the play is running. It has brought new challenges to me as I found that I had to think carefully about the character I am playing. Even the dialogue throughout the play has been looked at ensuring we are phrasing and placing the right emphasis on what we say.
Last night we managed to run the play twice over. This has helped all of us cement everything we have rehearsed which resulted in a happy director (well that’s what he said last night) having said this there are still one or two areas that we are refining to make sure we get the most out of everything.
Next time I tread the boards will be at dress rehearsal. I am looking forward to seeing it all come together.
It will be new experience for me to have someone adjudicate a production I appear in. I look forward to hearing what is said about our work (I hope culminating in getting through to the Welsh finals). I know that it will be a nerve racking experience for me but in a sadistic way I am looking forward to it.
As mentioned in other blogs if you have a chance please come along. Your support would be appreciated both by us at Blackwood Little Theatre and by the Festival organisers ensuring that local amateur theatre is supported.

Cheers

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment