Thursday 17 May 2012

Godfather Death - The Travelling Band

The Godfather Death’s Travelling Band

Hi all.
Here is my first blog from Canada. Well this certainly has been a real eventful past 48 hours since our departure.
Not sure if news has filtered through but the Maidmans started the event by realising, after they had left home and were sitting in Newport waiting for Steve Wride that they had left an overnight bag back in sunny Aberdare!!.
Everything for a reason they say because after they had delivered Steve to car 2 (comprising Myself, Nye, Sarah and Shelly) and were merrily making our way along the M4, Nye had realised that the web cam for the broadcast was sitting happily back in Blackwood (along with my cane I hasten to add). So after some frantic calls between various houses and cars car 1 (the Maidmans) were swinging by Blackwood on their way back to pick up the items on their way through as my good lady Ros along with my youngest daughter Sally met them at the rendezvous site to transfer the contraband.
This was happening whilst car 2 was merrily making its way to the refreshment stop (The Spring Inn) just outside Newbury. Very nice it was too.
So eventually Cars 1 and 2 met at Reading services to make their way to the Travel Lodge in gatwick. Beers were swilled and stories of the night were exchanged.
Wednesday morning arrived and we made our way to Gatwick after I decided that I would drive everyone round the perimeter of the airport as I missed the turn to get to South Terminal. My excuse being that I wanted to show them exactly how large London's 2nd airport was.
The flight went well and was pretty uneventful. However I did wonder what the average age of the people was on the plane as for a moment I thought I was on a remake of Cocoon!!
Usual bland airline food and the philosophy of if we can sell everything on this plane at exorbitant prices we will!!
Landing was good too as we were warned of turbulence coming in over Halifax but I think the pilot was just wanting to see the look of panic in everyones eyes when he said it as I thought it was pretty good.
So we made our way through customs. Everyone through ok but guess what. Steve Wride was no where to be seen. On looking through the glass that separated the arrivals area from those who went through immigration. We could see Steve sitting quite comfortably filling in his 2nd form as he had left the one we were given on the plane!. For a moment I thought Steve was making himself comfortable for a while. A security guard went over to him to check he was ok and in his usual relaxed style just nodded, smiled and said he would be done soon.
So out of baggage claim and into the airport. Met our drivers and made our way to Liverpool. One and a half hours later were delivered to the holding point, The Curling Club. Registration made monies paid by us and some purchases of the festival goodies we  were driven to our billets.
Settled in we then made our way back to the Astor Theatre for the opening cerimonies of the festival.



 Flags paraded for each country anthems sung and speeches made we settled in for some scenes from the Full Monty. I’ll leave my thought to myself on that. Suffice to say my retena is now scarred with images I should never have seen.
Opening play was by a local Canadian group and I thought it was a very good piece even though I ddnt understand a word of it.
We adjurned to Lanes for an opening party but in view of the 2 days we had traveling many of us decided that as we had a long day ahead of us headed back to our respective billets.
So Thursday has dawned and we are just about to head to Deb and Blairs place to rehearse and then get the 5 tons of wood over to the Astor Theatre.
Feeling a little nervous now as the time approaches but its a great experience.
I know this has been a long blog but trying to get things down for people to read and catch up on where we are now. All being equal should be able to add items on a more regular basis.
Dont forget we are hoping to stream live from Canada and will be ‘going up’ 8.30 pm here 00.30 am Friday UK time. I hope some of you can catch it!! - www.blackwoodlt.org.uk - click on Live Stream !
Cheers from us all.

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment